29th Birthday Celebrations

IMG_8829
The Beehive cake and my boys
Way back on August 10th, I celebrated my 29th birthday, which might be the most depressing birthday ever. I don't feel old enough or mature enough to be almost 30! Where is the time going? My birthday happened to fall on a weekday in the middle of a very busy period at Austin's work. They gave him impossible deadlines, and he was working his tail off to try his best to meet them. So, I was very surprised when he arrived home on my actual birthday with a beehive cake and an interesting plant. I had ordered my birthday present (new running shoes!) during the Amazon Prime Day, and my parent's present to me was shipping them here to Korea. So, I already had my presents and was not really expecting anything before the weekend. What a sweetie!

20160811_154635
Sansiviera "Velvet Touch" aka Snake plant or
mother-in-law tongue
I guess the plant deserves some explanation. Austin was trying to get me flowers. He found a florist and pointed to every plant in the entire shop. The owner just kept saying, "No." Finally, the owner brought him this plant and let him buy it. I'm not sure why Austin was not allowed to buy any other plant, but oh well. It is still orange today, and does not need a lot of water, so that's a win in my book! The cake was good by Korean standards. They just don't sweeten things the way Americans do. The cake was a beehive, and the premise was that they used honey to sweeten the cake, so it was not really that sweet. The cake itself was a little dry, and the frosting was lardy without enough sweetness. I'm not sure how they make their frosting, but it is not good. Ever. We knew this going in, though. The cakes and desserts here look amazing, but usually don't taste that great. Austin just didn't want me to have to make my own birthday cake, and he was strapped for time, so the beehive cake did the job.


For the birthDAY part of my special day, we visited a new beach, Sinduri beach. It was VERY low tide when we went, so from the shore, we could barely see the water. It was a very hot day, so the water was evaporating off of the sand, making it kind of foggy, but coming from the ground. It was very weird. The boys and I had a marvelous time with our friend, Teresita, who is such a great help with the boys on excursions!
IMG_8818
Boys at the beach
IMG_8803


























20160813_162407On the Saturday after my birthday, we got a daytime babysitter and went for a Thai couples massages. It was very relaxing, and they cracked the heck out of my back! I had never had a full body massage before, so that was an experience! After our relaxing massages, we went out to shabu shabu. Shabu shabu is a restaurant where they give you a boiling pot of broth and you order thinly shaved meat. There is a salad/veggie bar along with noodles, fish cakes, and other soup goodies. We had no idea what we were doing, but we put some veggies and meat in the pot and kind of ate as things got done. There was also a buffet spread of salads, rice, noodles and other dishes, including ice cream for dessert! I would recommend shabu shabu to anyone without crazy small children. There is a reason why this was our first time at this type of establishment, something to do with a boiling pot of liquid on the table!
20160813_162413
My handsome date!
Overall, I had a good birthday. It is always nice to spend it with extended family, but my little family here in Korea made it special. I sure love my boys!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Mommy's International Flight essentials

LDS Quiet Book Extravaganza

4 Month-Old Big Boy!