Liking Hiking

I thought my weed stick (at right) looked like a decoration one might spray paint silver. Austin thought it was lame. 
Austin has this really annoying, but slightly adorable habit of rhyming words all the time, thus the post title. I have enjoyed my fall hiking this year. Austin and I went to Deer Creek over Labor Day and had a great time walking around the lake, which compared to Timp, was not really a hike at all, but merely a stroll. We each adopted a weed stick that we used to hit each other with. Austin's was like 7 ft tall until I accidentally broke it.


It was a beautiful day.

On literally the last weekend before Timp was again covered in snow for the year, my little brother Gregory and I, along with a group of his friends, attempted to hike Mt. Timpanogos. We started from the Aspen Grove trailhead at around midnight. Unfortunately, we made a wrong turn and ended up 2.5 miles off the trail. We realized this when we stumbled into a parking lot at around 2:00. We were back on the right trail by 3:00, and so Greg and I went as fast as we possibly could to still get to the summit of Timp by sunrise, which was our goal in starting the hike. It was the hardest thing I've ever done as far as mental and physical endurance, conquering fears (of sliding down ice fields) and longevity (we didn't get back to the car until 11:00am... But it was worth it. I don't know when the next opportunity to hike Timp will be since Austin and I are most likely moving somewhere else in May.
We made it before sunrise! A Christmas miracle!

Proof that we were actually at the top

We were so happy... and freezing!

Here comes the sun

Oh yeah, the leaves of the trees and shrubs were all turning for fall, so it was a pretty gorgeous hike on the way down when we could see all the beautiful leaves.

The view was absolutely insane! I could see both the Utah and Salt Lake valleys from the summit. 
As for the group we started out with... they made it about half way. I'm glad that we worked so hard, because the view was so worth it. It was even worth taking an hour to cross the ice fields and getting huge bruises on my hips from falling over. I don't think Austin was upset that he missed it.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

A Mommy's International Flight essentials

4 Month-Old Big Boy!

LDS Quiet Book Extravaganza